Air fryer chicken wings are a delicious way to enjoy everyone’s favorite appetizer. Just like baked buffalo wings, this air fryer chicken wing recipe is a delicious alternative to deep fried wings with all of the flavor and crunch!
Have you discovered air frying yet? If not, you will definitely love it, we cook almost everything in the Airfryer! Air fryer fried chicken wings taste so much better than deep fried! They have all the crispy goodness and great flavor, with about a third to half the amount of fat.
Air Fryer Chicken Wings
What’s not to love? Even though you don’t use any oil, chicken wings in the air fryer are just as crispy on the outside and moist on the inside as deep fried wings or baked wings.
What is an Air Fryer?
An air fryer is like a convection oven to the max! It heats up and circulates air in such a way that food not only cooks really fast, it can become extremely crisp and delicious!
Air frying is perfect for items you’d normally deep fry (think french fries, chicken wings and egg rolls) but I also use it for burgers, chicken and more! The difference is that with an airfryer you only need a tiny bit of oil to get an amazing crust and a perfect crunch!
There are different types of Air Fryers, I have both of the following:
- Breville Smart Oven Air: This air fryer is very pricey but cooks a lot at once (way more than any other air fryers I’ve seen) and can be used as a toaster oven, oven (even holds a 9×13 pan), slow cooker and… you guessed it… an air fryer. I am pretty sure I use my Breville every day for something from making toast to baking Chicken Casseroles!
- T-Fal Actifry 2-in-1 which works great for things like wings and fries but is not ideal for more delicate items. This airfryer tosses the items to help ensure even cooking and it also has a tray to set on top for cooking things like burgers or chicken breasts.
While those are the two I have, you can find tons of other great Air Fryers on Amazon with great reviews (and lower prices).
How to Make Air Fried Chicken Wings
The next time you’re looking for that perfect snack to feed a crowd, just follow these simple steps, and you’ll have the best air fryer crispy chicken wings ever:
- Separate the flat part of the wing from the drummets, snip off the tips, and pat dry with paper towels.
- Toss in a seasoned flour/baking powder mixture to coat.
- Place in a single layer in your air fryer and cook until the skin is sizzling crisp – about 20 minutes.
You can also make frozen wings in air fryer. You will want to plan for about 5 minutes extra cooking time.
Once cooked, you can dress up your air fryer chicken wings with a lot of tasty sauces and condiments or just toss with a bit of olive oil, salt and pepper. Serve with a veggie plate of celery sticks, pepper slices and cherry tomatoes, with ranch or blue cheese dressing as a dip.
How Long to Air Fry Chicken Wings
Frying chicken wings in a vat of oil the old fashioned way is easy enough if you don’t mind all that grease and spatter. It takes about 10 minutes after the oil reaches 375 ͦF.
Cooking chicken wings in air fryers takes about 20 minutes but clean up and heat up are so much easier! For frozen wings in air fryer, add another 5 minutes to the cooking time! A thermometer inserted into the chicken wings should read 165°F. Make sure not to hit a bone, or the reading will be off.
With these tips in mind, go ahead and try air fryer chicken wings. Your family is going to love them!
More Chicken Recipes
Air Fryer Chicken Wings
Cook Time 20 minutes
Total Time 30 minutes
These air fryer chicken wings are a healthy and delicious way to enjoy everyone’s favorite appetizer.
- 2 lbs chicken wings split and tips removed
- 1 1/2 tablespoons flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
Preheat air fryer to 400°F.
Pat wings dry with a paper towel. Combine flour, baking powder, salt and pepper and toss with wings. Shake off any excess flour mixture.
Place wings in the air fryer in a single layer.
Bake wings 20-22 minutes or until skin is crisp.
Remove wings from air fryer and top with additional salt and pepper or desired sauce.
Calories: 47, Fat: 3g, Cholesterol: 15mg, Sodium: 63mg, Potassium: 65mg, Protein: 3g, Vitamin A: 0.6%, Vitamin C: 0.2%, Calcium: 1.7%, Iron: 1.3%
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)