- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 package (12 ounces) fully cooked apple chicken sausage links or flavor of your choice, cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup apple cider or juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups chopped fresh kale
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 1 medium apple, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh sage or 1 teaspoon dried sage leaves
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add sausage and onion; cook and stir until sausage is golden brown, 8-10 minutes. Add broth, cider and salt; bring to a boil. Stir in kale and quinoa. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until liquid is absorbed, 15-20 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in remaining ingredients. Cover and let stand 5 minutes before serving.
1-1/2 cups: 492 calories, 18g fat (3g saturated fat), 61mg cholesterol, 888mg sodium, 62g carbohydrate (29g sugars, 6g fiber), 22g protein.
Originally published as Skillet Savory Apple Cider Chicken Quinoa Dinner in Taste of Home February/March 2019