- 6 tablespoons butter, divided
- 3 large onions, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 12 dried figs, sliced
- 1 cup water
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 12 slices slices Italian bread (1/2 inch thick)
- 8 ounces Asiago cheese, sliced
- 12 thin slices prosciutto
- 3/4 cup crumbled goat cheese
- Balsamic glaze, optional
- In a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons butter over medium heat. Add onions, sugar and salt; cook and stir until softened, about 15 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook until deep golden brown, 30-40 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, place figs, water and honey in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, until liquid is almost evaporated, about 20 minutes.
- Preheat panini maker or indoor electric grill. Layer 6 slices of bread with Asiago cheese, prosciutto, goat cheese, caramelized onions and figs; top with remaining bread. Spread outsides of sandwiches with remaining butter.
- Cook sandwiches, covered, until bread is browned and cheese is melted, 4-5 minutes. If desired, drizzle with balsamic glaze.
1 sandwich: 572 calories, 31g fat (18g saturated fat), 108mg cholesterol, 1144mg sodium, 52g carbohydrate (25g sugars, 5g fiber), 26g protein.
Originally published as Honeyed Fig, and Caramelized Onion Panini in Taste of Home April/May 2019