- 4 cups water
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups dried lentils, rinsed
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano, divided
- 1 cup chopped fresh spinach
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1 can (2-1/4 ounces) sliced ripe olives, drained
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Chopped red onion, chopped parsley and lemon wedges, optional
- Place the water, broth, lentils, carrots, onion, celery and 1/2 teaspoon oregano in a 5- or 6-qt. slow cooker. Cook, covered, on low until lentils are tender, 4-5 hours.
- Stir in the spinach, tomato sauce, olives, vinegar, garlic, salt, pepper and remaining 1/2 teaspoon oregano. Cook, covered on low until spinach is wilted, about 1 hour longer. If desired, serve with red onion, parsley and lemon wedges.
Test Kitchen tip
1 cup: 134 calories, 1g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 420mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 4g fiber), 9g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 lean meat.
Originally published as Lentil Soup,Greek-Style in Simple & Delicious February/March 2019