If you are looking for a great grilling cheese give halloumi a try. This firm cheese is perfect for grilling because it won’t melt, instead its flavor transforms into savory goodness ideal for kebabs, salads, sandwiches and more.
What is Halloumi Cheese?
Halloumi is a cheese from the Mediterranean island of Cyprus. It is traditionally made from a blend of sheep and goat’s milk. It is firm in texture (very similar to paneer), white in color and possesses a pleasantly salty flavor reminiscent of feta.
Grilled Halloumi Cheese Calories
A 1 oz (28g) serving of Halloumi cheese contains 85 calories and 6.3g of protein and 6.3g of fat.
How To Grill Halloumi Cheese on the Barbecue
Its firm texture makes halloumi an excellent cheese for grilling, as it won’t melt through the grates and cause a big mess.
Here’s how to grill halloumi cheese on the barbecue successfully:
1. Cut the cheese into thick slices.
2. Place the cheese on a grill pan or outdoor grill. No added oil is necessary as the cheese will release its liquid and natural oils.
3. Don’t touch the halloumi. Allow it to cook until golden brown on one side. Then flip the Halloumi and brown on the remaining side for a minute or two.
4. Remove from the grill. Enjoy as is but you can also season it with spices, accompany with a salad or tuck into a tasty sandwich (you’ll find instructions below).
Halloumi Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Once you’ve grilled your halloumi cheese to perfection you can make the ultimate grilled cheese sandwich.
To make a halloumi grilled cheese sandwich just follow these steps:
1. Butter two slices of bread on both sides. Place on a grill or hot skillet. Allow to brown on one side.
2. Flip the bread over so the golden side is facing you. Place the Halloumi cheese on top, along with any other desired cheeses or toppings (bacon or sun-dried tomatoes are good options).
3. Cover the sandwich with the remaining slice of bread (the uncooked side should be facing up).
4. Cook sandwich over medium high heat until golden. Then flip and repeat on other side. Voila! You’ve got yourself a scrumptious halloumi grilled cheese sandwich.