- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1/2 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, shredded
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2-1/2 cups reduced-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 cup dried red lentils, rinsed
- 5 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons yellow mustard
- 4-1/2 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1-1/2 teaspoons tomato paste
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 14 whole wheat hamburger buns, split and toasted
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion, peppers and carrot; cook and stir until crisp-tender, 6-8 minutes. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- Add broth and lentils; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered until lentils are tender, about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in chopped tomatoes, tomato sauce, chili powder, mustard, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, honey, tomato paste, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer until thickened, about 10 minutes. Serve on buns.
1 sandwich: 215 calories, 5g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 438mg sodium, 38g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 7g fiber), 8g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2-1/2 starch, 1 fat.
Originally published as Tangy Joes (Lentil Sloppy Joes) in Taste of Home February/March 2019