- 12 cabbage leaves
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup fat-free milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons water, divided
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- In batches, cook cabbage in boiling water 3-5 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain; cool slightly. Trim the thick vein from the bottom of each cabbage leaf, making a V-shaped cut.
- In a large bowl, combine rice, onion, egg, milk, salt and pepper. Add beef; mix lightly but thoroughly. Place about 1/4 cup beef mixture on each cabbage leaf. Pull together cut edges of leaf to overlap; fold over filling. Fold in sides and roll up.
- Place trivet insert and 1/2 cup water in a 6-qt. electric pressure cooker. Set 6 rolls on trivet, seam side down. In a bowl, mix tomato sauce, brown sugar, lemon juice and Worcestershire sauce; pour half the sauce over cabbage rolls. Top with remaining rolls and sauce.
- Lock lid; close pressure-release valve. Adjust to pressure-cook on high for 15 minutes. Quick-release pressure. A thermometer inserted in beef should read at least 160°. Press cancel.
- Remove rolls to a serving platter; keep warm. Remove trivet. In a small bowl, mix cornstarch and remaining 2 tablespoons water until smooth; stir into pressure cooker. Select saute setting and adjust for low heat. Simmer, stirring constantly, until thickened, 1-2 minutes. Serve with rolls.
2 cabbage rolls: 219 calories, 8g fat (3g saturated fat), 78mg cholesterol, 446mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 18g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1 starch.
Originally published as Crock Pot Cabbage Rolls in Skinny Instant Pot