- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (6 ounces each)
- 2 medium lemons
- 1 bunch fresh basil leaves (3/4 ounce)
- 2 cups chicken stock
- Place chicken in a 6-qt. electric pressure cooker. Finely grate enough zest from lemons to measure 4 teaspoons. Cut lemons in half; squeeze juice. Add zest and juice to pressure cooker.
- Tear basil leaves directly into pressure cooker; add chicken stock. Lock lid; close pressure-release valve. Adjust to pressure-cook on high for 6 minutes. Quick-release pressure. A thermometer inserted in chicken should read at least 165°. When cool enough to handle, shred meat with two forks; return to pressure cooker. If desired, stir in additional lemon peel and chopped basil. Serve with a slotted spoon.
- Freeze option: Place chicken and cooking liquid in freezer containers. Cool and freeze. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Microwave, covered, on high in a microwave-safe dish until heated through, stirring gently.
5 ounces cooked chicken: 200 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 94mg cholesterol, 337mg sodium, 3g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 0 fiber), 37g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 5 lean meat.
Originally published as Lemon Basil Chicken in Skinny Instant Pot