- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (3 to 4 pounds)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1-1/2 cups dry red wine or reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1-1/2 pounds sliced fresh shiitake mushrooms
- 2-1/2 cups thinly sliced onions
- 1-1/2 cups reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 3/4 cup chopped peeled parsnips
- 3/4 cup chopped celery
- 3/4 cup chopped carrots
- 8 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 cup water
- Mashed potatoes
- Halve roast; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Select saute or browning setting on a 6-qt. electric pressure cooker. Adjust for medium heat; add 1-1/2 teaspoons oil. When oil is hot, brown one roast half on all sides. Remove; repeat with remaining beef and 1-1/2 teaspoons oil. Add wine to pressure cooker. Cook 2 minutes, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan. Press cancel. Return beef to pressure cooker.
- Add mushrooms, onions, broth, tomato sauce, parsnips, celery, carrots, garlic, bay leaves, thyme and chili powder. Lock lid; close pressure-release valve. Adjust to pressure-cook on high for 60 minutes. Let pressure release naturally for 10 minutes; quick-release any remaining pressure. A thermometer inserted in beef should read at least 160°.
- Remove meat and vegetables to a serving platter; keep warm. Discard bay leaves. Skim fat from cooking juices; transfer back to pressure cooker. In a small bowl, mix cornstarch and water until smooth; stir into cooking juices. Select saute setting and adjust for low heat. Simmer, stirring constantly, until thickened, 1-2 minutes. Serve with mashed potatoes, meat and vegetables.
- Freeze option: Place roast and vegetables in freezer containers; top with cooking juices. Cool and freeze. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a covered saucepan, stirring gently and adding a little broth if necessary.
4 ounces cooked beef with 2/3 cup vegetables and 1/2 cup gravy: 316 calories, 15g fat (5g saturated fat), 89mg cholesterol, 373mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 4g fiber), 30g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1-1/2 fat.
Originally published as Mushroom Pot Roast in Skinny Instant Pot