- 3 Italian turkey sausage links, casings removed
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 6 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 jar (24 ounces) pasta sauce
- 1 can (15 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1-1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups frozen cheese tortellini
- Shredded Parmesan cheese, optional
- In a Dutch oven, cook sausage and onion over medium heat until sausage is no longer pink and onion is tender, 5-7 minutes, breaking up sausage into crumbles; drain. Add the garlic and pepper flakes; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the broth, pasta sauce, crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, basil, vinegar, parsley flakes, sugar, oregano, salt and pepper; bring to a boil.
- Add tortellini; cook, uncovered, until tortellini are tender, 3-5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Serve immediately. If desired, top with cheese.
1-1/2 cups: 192 calories, 5g fat (1g saturated fat), 24mg cholesterol, 1167mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 4g fiber), 12g protein.
Originally published as Tortellini Soup in Simple & Delicious February/March 2019