- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup shredded peeled cucumber
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1 pound ground lamb
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
- 4 garlic cloves, minced and divided
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon plus 1/8 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon dill weed
- 10 mini buns or mini ciabatta buns
- 10 Bibb lettuce leaves or Boston lettuce leaves
- 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese
- Line a strainer or colander with 4 layers of cheesecloth or 1 coffee filter; place over a bowl. Place yogurt in prepared strainer; cover yogurt with sides of cheesecloth. Refrigerate 2-4 hours. Meanwhile, place cucumber in a colander over a plate; sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt and toss. Let stand 30 minutes.
- For burgers, in a large bowl, combine lamb, lemon zest, 2 garlic cloves, oregano, 3/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper, mixing lightly but thoroughly. Shape into ten 1/2-in.-thick patties. Refrigerate 30 minutes.
- For sauce, remove yogurt from cheesecloth to a bowl; discard strained liquid. Squeeze cucumber and blot dry with paper towels. Add cucumber, lemon juice, dill, remaining 2 garlic cloves, remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and remaining 1/8 teaspoon pepper to yogurt, stirring until combined.
- Grill burgers, covered, over medium heat until a thermometer reads 160°, 3-4 minutes on each side. Grill buns over medium heat, cut sides down, for 30-60 seconds or until toasted. Serve burgers on buns with lettuce, red onion, feta and sauce.
1 slider: 228 calories, 12g fat (5g saturated fat), 43mg cholesterol, 531mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 14g protein.
Originally published as Santorini Lamb Sliders in Taste of Home April/May 2019