- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1-1/2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 2 cans (15-1/2 ounces each) navy or other white beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 package (8-1/2 ounces) cornbread/muffin mix
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 2 green onions, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 425°. In a 10-in. ovenproof skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add carrots, celery and onion; cook and stir 6-8 minutes or until tender. Add ham. Stir in flour until blended; gradually stir in broth. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir 1-2 minutes or until thickened.
- Add beans, salt and pepper; return to a boil. In a small bowl, combine muffin mix, milk, egg, green onions, parsley and melted butter; stir just until blended. Spoon evenly over bean mixture (dish will be full).
- Bake 20-25 minutes or until topping is golden brown. Let stand 15 minutes.
Test Kitchen tips
1 serving: 513 calories, 17g fat (5g saturated fat), 66mg cholesterol, 1619mg sodium, 67g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 12g fiber), 24g protein.
Originally published as Senate Bean Skillet in Taste of Home April/May 2019