- 3 cups cubed peeled butternut squash
- 1 can (13.66 ounces) light coconut milk
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, finely chopped
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 1/2 cup chunky peanut butter
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons red curry paste
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Chopped fresh cilantro and chopped salted peanuts, optional
- In a 4- or 5-qt. slow cooker, combine the first 13 ingredients. Cook, covered, on low until squash is tender, 5-6 hours.
- Puree soup using an immersion blender, or cool slightly and puree soup in batches in a blender. Return to slow cooker and heat through. If desired, garnish with cilantro and peanuts.
Test Kitchen tip
3/4 cup: 181 calories, 12g fat (4g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 470mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 3g fiber), 5g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 high-fat meat, 1 fat.
Originally published as Slow-Cooker Thai Butternut Squash Peanut Soup in Simple & Delicious February/March 2019