- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked instant rice
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes with mild green chilies
- 1-1/2 cups beef broth
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup shredded Mexican cheese blend
- In a large skillet, cook beef, onion, green pepper and jalapeno over medium heat until meat is no longer pink and vegetables are tender, breaking up beef into crumbles, 8-10 minutes; drain.
- Add rice, tomatoes, broth and seasonings. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat. Simmer, covered, until liquid is absorbed, about 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork. Remove from heat; sprinkle with cheese. Let stand, covered, until cheese is melted.
Test Kitchen tips
1-1/2 cups: 482 calories, 19g fat (8g saturated fat), 96mg cholesterol, 962mg sodium, 41g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 4g fiber), 33g protein.
Originally published as Southwestern Hamburger skillet casserole in Simple & Delicious February/March 2019