- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1 cup eggnog, divided
- 1-3/4 teaspoons rum extract, divided
- 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 3 cups confectioners’ sugar
- Colored sugar or sprinkles
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg, 1/3 cup eggnog and 1 teaspoon extract. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, ginger and allspice; gradually beat into creamed mixture.
- Divide dough in half and shape each portion into a disk; cover and refrigerate until firm enough to roll, about 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375°. On a lightly floured surface, roll each portion of dough to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 3-1/4-in. star-shaped cookie cutter. Place 1 in. apart on parchment paper-lined baking sheets.
- Bake until edges begin to brown, 8-10 minutes. Cool on pans 1 minute. Remove to wire racks to cool completely. For glaze, mix confectioners’ sugar, remaining extract and enough remaining eggnog to achieve a drizzling consistency; drizzle over cookies. Decorate as desired.
1 cookie: 114 calories, 3g fat (2g saturated fat), 14mg cholesterol, 50mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Originally published as Spiced Eggnog Rum Cookies in Taste of Home December 2018