- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 medium carrots, chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cans (28 ounces each) crushed tomatoes, undrained
- 1 carton (32 ounces) vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 packages (9 ounces each) refrigerated cheese tortellini
- 3/4 cup half-and-half cream
- Shredded Parmesan cheese and minced fresh basil
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and carrot; cook and stir until crisp-tender, 5-6 minutes. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Transfer to a 6- or 7-qt. slow cooker. Add the tomatoes, broth, sugar, basil and bay leaf. Cook, covered, on low until vegetables are tender, 6-7 hours.
- Stir in tortellini. Cook, covered, on high 15 minutes. Reduce heat to low; stir in cream until heated through. Discard bay leaf. Serve with Parmesan cheese and basil.
Freeze option: Before stirring in sour cream, cool soup and freeze in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally, adding sour cream as directed.
Test Kitchen tip
1 cup: 214 calories, 7g fat (3g saturated fat), 23mg cholesterol, 569mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 4g fiber), 9g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 fat.
Originally published as Slow Cooker Creamy Tomato Basil Tortellini Soup in Simple & Delicious February/March 2019