- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 pounds uncooked skinless turkey breast, cubed
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil, divided
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups sliced okra
- 4 green onions, sliced
- 10 ounces uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 5 cups hot cooked rice
- In a small bowl, combine salt and peppers; sprinkle over turkey. In a Dutch oven, brown turkey in 2 tablespoons oil; remove with a slotted spoon. Add remaining oil and flour, scraping pan bottom to loosen browned bits. Cook over medium-low heat for 25-30 minutes until dark brown in color, stirring occasionally.
- Add the onion, celery, red pepper and garlic. Cook over medium heat for 4-5 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender. Gradually stir in broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Return turkey to pan; cover and simmer for 30-45 minutes or until turkey is tender. Add okra and green onions; simmer 10 minutes. Add shrimp; simmer until shrimp turn pink, 4-5 minutes. Serve over rice.
1 cup with 1/2 cup rice: 381 calories, 13g fat (2g saturated fat), 88mg cholesterol, 777mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 30g protein.
Originally published as Turkey and Shrimp Gumbo in Taste of Home February/March 2019